Trip Duration: 2hrs (approx.)
Departure Times: 10.30am, 1.30pm, 4pm
Price: $95 adults, $60 Children (3-14yrs), Children 2yrs and under are FREE
Explore 12 km of rugged volcanic coastline visiting nearby islands, stunning beaches, including Lonely Bay, Cooks Beach, Hahei and the spectacular Cathedral Cove where Prince Caspian (Chronicles of Narnia) was filmed. Venture across the Te Whanganui-A-Hei Marine Reserve where you’ll observe an abundance of marine and bird life. Get up close and personal with towering pinnacles, giant blowholes and huge sea caves including Orua Sea Cave, one of the largest in NZ and only accessible by boat.
Throughout the tour your local guide will highlight Mercury Bay’s rich and colourful history giving a fabulous balance of information and time to soak up the sights and sounds.
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW:
- Bookings are essential.
- The tour departs from the Whitianga Wharf, Esplanade Rd (or the Ferry Landing Wharf by request).
- Be sure to arrive 15 minutes prior to departure.
- Make sure you bring refreshments, warm jacket, camera/binoculars, sunhat and sunscreen.
- If you plan on swimming or snorkelling wear your swimwear under your clothing and bring a towel
- To give you maximum time in the water we discourage the use of wetsuits.
Established in 1992 the Te-Whanganui-a-Hei Marine Reserve covers 9 square kilometres of local coast. No recreational or commercial fishing is allowed within the reserve which means the plants and fish are free to return to their natural balance. On our Full Monty Tour we stop at the picturesque Gemstone Bay situated in the heart of the marine reserve. From the boat you’ll observe an abundance of marine life and if you’re game you can dive in for quick 15 minute swim with snorkels and masks provided.